Monday, July 1, 2013

Expectations

I am currently taking The Respect Dare and joining the discussion at The Peaceful Wife. Join In!

What expectations did I have for our marriage? What did I have just for him?

I was a very young bride and going into our marriage I admit I didn't have any expectations. Until later. I expected my version of perfection in everything. I expected a young teen father to be a mature man.  I expected to be the next June & Ward.  I had no idea what that even looked like or how to go about it.  I was a  teen mom & wife. We had no positive role models showing either of us what it really meant to be married.

Through the years visions of the Cleavers started to fade and we were more like Rosanne & Dan.  The only thing that remained was my vision of what perfection should be and now I can look on it and realize that didn't make my marriage a happy one. 

Trying to impose what I thought a father should look like, what a husband should do and how my spouse should behave has set my household up for failure. I even had lofty expectations for myself that were not beneficial to my marriage.

Today my expectations for myself are:

Trust My husband. God's got this. Which brings me to the next one
Stop worrying.  If I truly trust "God's Got This" then what worries do I have?
Stop worrying.  Again just in case I start to back slide ;)
Release bitterness & resentment and be at peace. 
Let go of my imagined control.
Stop complaining and again, be at peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment